Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thanksgiving in August

Its a cool, rainy day here in New York. Despite the fact that it is August, autumn decided it wanted to show us Yankees what is waiting in the wings for us come September.

And speaking of weather, I am home sick today under it.

I still needed to make something for dinner and was not in the mood for anything strenuous despite craving comfort food. So, I took out my Crockpot and decided to make something that reminds me of Thanksgiving dinner (one of my favorite dinners each year). I have been taking cookbooks out of the library all summer and one I am currently reading is Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes. The author, Beth Hensberger, adapted the gravy for this dish from a Marcus Samuelsson recipe, and that is why it also caught my eye. It also caught my eye because I am a huge fan of sweet and savory together.

Turkey Cutlets with Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

For the gravy:
One package of turkey gravy mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons half and half
1/4 cup dried cranberries

For the meat and vegetables:
3 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
4 ounces of French green beans (fresh), trimmed
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 pound turkey breast cutlets
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the gravy mix, water, wine, and cranberry sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and whisk until thickened and the cranberry sauce has melted. Stir in the half and half and dried cranberries. Set aside.
2) Spray the inside of the crock with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the sweet potato slices in the bottom of the crock. Then add the green beans and the slices of garlic. Salt and pepper the turkey cutlets and then roll up each cutlet, placing them in a layer on top of the vegetables.
3) Pour the warm cranberry gravy over the cutlets and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, until the turkey and the sweet potatoes are tender.

3 comments:

  1. Very yummy with cranberry gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice easy comforting dish to put together when you feel lousy, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of cranberry gravy, but it works for me!

    ReplyDelete