I honestly am so tired from work last week that I was too tired to cook anything complicated on this rainy and cold Sunday evening in New York. With the holidays this week, I am preparing to cook for both Easter and Passover. Still, I needed some comfort food tonight without the guilt. I cannot believe I am saying this, but this was one of the *best* grilled cheese sandwiches I *ever* had! I can't believe its a healthy recipe, too! I have made these zucchini chips before and they are a wonderful side dish to any hot or cold sandwich.
I sipped a lovely and local white wine: Local Flavor Chardonnay by Peconic Bay Winery out on the North Fork of Long Island, New York. It was light and crisp and paired perfectly.
Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese (courtesy of Weight Watchers Magazine)
2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
8 slices of thick, whole wheat bread
8 slices of 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese (I used Kraft)
1 medium Gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
1) Combine mustard and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread evenly on bread slices. Layer each of 4 bread slices with 1 slice of cheese, 1/4 of apple slices, and 1 slice of cheese. Top with remaining bread slices. Coat both sides of sandwiches with cooking spray.
2) Heat large, nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cheese has melted.
(Yields 4 sandwiches, 7 points per sandwich)
Zucchini Chips (courtesy of Weight Watchers Magazine)
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2) Place breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over zucchini slices.
3) Dip zucchini slices into egg and dredge in bread crumbs, pressing firmly to coat. Place zucchini slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spay.
4) Bake at 475 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown. (I served mine with some light blue cheese dressing - delicious!).
(Yields 4 servings of 7 chips at 1 point each plus extra for dipping)