What better food to dip into for Valentine's Day than guacamole? It is rich like love, spicy like a good romance, and layered with goodness like any good relationship. Maybe it turns brown here and there to symbolize some darker times, but there is always pockets of fresh green to make up for that. Guacamole could very well mean "I love you" to some people!
It is also unique, like love, because you make it your own depending on what your likes are. For example, cilantro is a deal breaker for me since it tastes like soap (I usually refer to it as soaplantro), so I add parsley instead. The amount of cayenne really depends on what your tolerance is, and adding mild chilis or zesty jalepenos is your call as well. Just like a relationship, its what you bring to it that makes it special. In any event, I hope you have the chip to your guacamole this Valentine's Day and enjoy!
4 ripe haas avocados - halved, seeded, and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 14.5 ounce can of zesty diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, well drained (I used DelMonte)
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1) In a large bowl, squeeze out the juice of a lime
2) Cut, pit, and scoop out the avocados right into the bowl of juice so they do not brown
3) Mash avocado with a mashed potato masher
4) Add onion, diced tomatoes, and garlic
5) Add salt, cayenne, and cumin and half of the parsley
6) Mix well and sprinkle with remaining parsley when plated
6) Serve with your favorite chips...and margaritas!