Tonight was meat and potatoes night!
Its been a long week and the week is not even over, so meat and potatoes for dinner is good comfort food. Many of you may not know this, but I have been without Food Network for almost a month due to New York's Cablevision being in a battle with Scripps network. Tonight it is back, and I am glad I can watch Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives once more!
I am on a Penzey's kick this week it seems. This was actually the first time I used their poultry seasoning after purchasing it around Thanksgiving. A good investment for quick chicken dishes on a weeknight, let me tell you! I found a basic recipe from Martha Stewart for buttermilk baked chicken and made it my own. I had a baked potato sprinkled with parsley and some honey glazed carrots. The wine was a lovely Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.
Buttermilk Baked Chicken
1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 cups of plain breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (I used Penzey's)
1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used lowfat)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet
2) Combine bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, and cheese in a bowl.
3) Combine buttermilk, salt, pepper, and hot sauce in another bowl and whisk well.
4) Pat chicken pieces dry and dip into buttermilk, shaking excess coating off. Dip into bread crumb mixture and fully coat.
5) Bake for 25 minutes until chicken is a nice golden brown.
To order Penzey's Poultry Spice: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspoultryseas.html